Monday, December 11, 2006

Aliens

Today being a public holiday in Selangor, brought about foreign workers in droves to my office area as they came to settle salaries and bank in to send home. The 5-foot way was filled with Bangladeshis, Indonesians, Vietnamese... you name it.

My colleagues and I walked through a throng of them and one of my colleagues shuddered. "Ew... I feel so scared walking amongst them". I was pretty surprised to hear that reaction from many of my other colleagues. I mean, they're human, aren't they? What's wrong with walking amongst them? And as curiousity got the better of me, after lunch I detached myself from my colleagues to go to a tuck shop and purposely walked through the thickest part of the crowd.

I suppose it is because when I was in NZ, a lot of Kiwis felt threatened that more than half of the Auckland population was Asian and they started to get uncomfortable. Then some of them became abusive. I hated the feeling and I suppose I don't want to treat them like how I was treated when I was the foreigner.

"But they will start to fight without any reason and you might be there at the wrong place at the wrong time."

Honey, you can be at the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere.

No comments: