Sunday, August 10, 2008

Toastmasters

The first time I heard about Toastmasters was in 2000, I’ve been curious to know what goes on in a club that helps people improve their public speaking skills. Since then, I’ve had numerous invitations to join a meeting.

Last Thursday was the very first time I finally went. There were about 30-40 people that night but because of a jam, I missed the first part of the session, Table Topic, which allows everyone to participate. I was only in time for the presentations followed by the people who gave feedback on each presentation. That was quite interesting. I always had the impression that the people there were really good and merely polishing their public speaking but I was heartened to observe the speakers struggle with their language, tone and speech. It made me feel… human.

Although I enjoyed myself and met quite a lot of people, I’m not absolutely sure if I want to attend this on a regular basis as I haven’t established what my objectives are if I were to join.

Anyway, it was great fun and I will certainly visit it again.

No comments: