Thursday, August 08, 2013

Minion Cupcakes!

I enjoy baking but have hardly ventured into cake decorating as I'm not really a creative person in terms of designing cake icing patterns. It's just baking and then eating for me, unless it's a carrot cake which begs for cream cheese frosting (and that's just frosting, no decorating).

But when my friend Eunice started offering classes to create Minion cupcakes, I thought, why not? Perhaps it would spur me into decorating cupcakes the "proper" way. While I'm not so much a Minion fan, it's a fairly easy character to mould/follow. Plus, they ARE cute. :)

Armed with only a palette knife, a wooden rolling pin (which I discovered is absolutely the wrong type for fondant as it stuck to my rolling pin), I attended the class last Sunday. Eunice had equipment which we all could share. So we set out to learn how to make 2D and 3D minions for our cupcakes in 3 hours.

Here are the pictures of all our hard work that afternoon from 4 of the 5 students:
My cupcakes and minion are the ones on the right. Yeah, my 3D minion had "nerdy" hair hehehe..
Two sets from the other two students.
The best of my 2D designs.

We really had a lot of fun and were squealing with the absolute cuteness of our creations. Here are more close up photos of my 3D Minion.
Was in a bit of a rush so he has a scar on his forehead and Eunice helped with his arms otherwise we'd be there forever!
Eunice is an extremely creative person and excellent with her cake decorations. She done so many amazing 3D work, see her work at her blog.

She gave us many tips and used creative tools meant for other things for the decorating! And her patient step by step to help us through every way even allowed a beginner like me to produce something which looked somewhat decent!

Her classes are every Sunday this month. If you'd like to find out more about the classes, go to her Facebook page.

No comments: