Sunday, February 15, 2009

Burp Vs Fart

Okay, this blog isn't supposed to be talking about dung and other bodily functions but I'm feeling slightly down in the dumps, scared $hitle$$ of upcoming work next week, pissed over being dumped on added stress at work. So bear with me for a bit.

It appears to me that there is a social unfairness to farting in public as compared to burping in public. How many times have you heard people burp in public, without so much of an embarrassed "Sorry" and a red face? People try and keep their farts in private, as they should, but why shouldn't burping given the same treatment? Or, why can't people accept the fact that humans do fart and why not in public?

In fact, in Japan, burping is a good sign that you've thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Homer Simpson burps on TV.


Below a table of comparison:

Burp

Fart

Comes from a hole in your body

Comes from a hole in your body

Gas from food intake

Gas from food intake

Makes strange body sounds

Makes strange body sounds

Stinks

Stinks

Socially acceptable

Not socially acceptable


See how there's injustice??

Okay, I'm complaining because I can't burp. Nope, I'm totally excluded from the privilege of burping those loud, stinky ones after meals, thanks to my body make-up. But I am usually surrounded by people who do and I get the waft of their barely digested food on many occasions. Plus, I know who it comes from. Sigh. Next time I'll just deliver my silent killing farts around them as payback.

No comments: