Monday, November 23, 2009

Orange & Almond Cake

I've been baking a couple of stuff since I'm on leave. Usually, I bake the usual stuff I make so that I know there will be people eating it after all my effort. Plus, it takes me HOURS to prepare new stuff as I'm unfamiliar with the processes so I'm usually lazy when it comes to trying new recipes.

However, the free days has allowed me to experiment and I've tried 2 new recipes so far, one of which is a new cake found on http://www.lachinvasion.blogspot.com/

Orange & Almond Cake:

Ingredients:
3 whole oranges
150g castor sugar
250g ground almond
6 eggs
1 tablespoon plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Method:
1. Wash oranges and place them whole in a pot. Cover with cold water, place over high heat and bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the oranges and refresh the water and repeat the process again 3 times. This took me over an hour.

2. Let oranges cool to room temperature. Remove seeds and pith. Blend oranges in blender until fine puree. Since my blender is pretty small, I chucked the orange puree into my mixer and added all the other ingredients to mix.

3. I used a 21cm round baking tin, bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 degrees celcius for 50 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.

4. Cool cake in the pan completely before removing. It is best to leave the cake overnight to allow the flavour to intensify even further.

This is the first cake I ever baked without oil and it was such a pleasure to wash the utensils after that!

Verdict:

It came out extremely moist and had a sugee cake texture, which I don't quite fancy. Maybe if I had placed the almonds into the blender it would have been better. The sweetness was just right, although my sweet tooth would prefer it to be just a slight bit sweeter.

This cake went to Melaka over the weekend when my parents visited my in-laws. Unfortunately, since this was the first time I made it, we didn't realize it needed to be refridgerated after one day.

By the time I took this photo on Day 2, there was a disgusting putrid waft that smelt of vomit emanating from it and I was gagging as I took this photo. As I threw it away, there was mould already growing beneath the cake. Ugh!


Mum and Dad liked the cake and would eat it again. KS said it felt like he was chewing a wet blanket. I am not particularly keen on this cake either but well, let's see if there's enough quorum for me to do another one next time.

No comments: