Thursday, November 26, 2009

Chocolate Cake Experiment

Yes, yet another baking experiment. Now the house has two types of cakes and one batch of cookies uneaten. Thank goodness my parents have guests staying over. They have no choice but to politely eat them! Muahahaha!!

This chocolate cake recipe was given by an ex-colleague last year. I never tried it because it had chocolate to melt plus it had ground almonds, uncommon ingredients in my baking larder. Until after I experimented with the orange cake and choc cookies. The ingredients were just enough so I decided to try my hand at it.

Moist Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
200g butter
140g dark cooking chocolate
125g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 eggs, separate yolks and whites
125g self raising flour
25g ground almonds/walnuts (optional)
Milk, agak-agak

Method:
1. Melt chocolate and set aside to cool.
2. Beat egg whites and set aside.
3. Beat butter, sugar and essence. Add yolks one by one.
4. Add in melted chocolate.
5. Fold in flour and nuts
6. Whisk egg whites until fluffy. Add milk until dropping consistency is achieved.
7. Bake for 60-75 mins in 25cm x 12cm loaf tin in oven at 170ÂșC.

Verdict:
A very non-sweet cake in my opinion. Mum says it's ok but I prefer it sweeter. Also, it didn't turn out fluffy. Hmm... I'll try other chocolate cake recipes next round.

No comments: