Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Lodgings in Cambodia

Oh the relief to be able to go to the toilet!

Anyways, won't go into detail but I'm feeling much better and glad that I'm on MC again today. Went back to work yesterday but it was sheer pain when my stomach acted up again.

What can I tell you about today? Ok, let me show you our lodgings in Cambodia. See this picture? This is the hut KS and I stayed in.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It has a fan which works when the generator is on for a couple of hours in the evening, a thin mattress, a table fashioned out of cart-wheels, just like the rest of the theme. Most tables, railings are made out of these pony cart wheels.

Which reminds me I learnt something new in Baray. I saw a lot of ponies pulling carts and wondered out loud where were the horses since ponies will eventually grow into horses, right?? At that precise moment, I felt like Jessica Simpson exclaiming about tuna not being made out of fish.

Back to the lodgings, we have a mosquito netting which is hung above the bed and tucked under the mattress to keep out creepy crawlies. Still, some were clever enough to find its way in.

One thing that kept waking us were the crowing of roosters at 3:40am on the first few nights but once we shifted to these huts, we were serenaded to by geckos. I wish I saw a gecko because they are said to look like small crocs and they make the strangest sound ever. It starts off with a warming up of a series of rattles followed by a short burst of high pitched calls that sound like "GECKO!". And another gecko nearby will answer this call with another "GECKO!". Too bad I didn't manage to record the sound. But if you don't know what the sound is, you'd freak out in bed and wonder what monster is about to attack you - like I did the second night.

I hear these geckos eat cockroaches and rats. I really wish I could import some here.

2 comments:

MlleMonster said...

Thanks. Now I know where NEVER to go for my holidays, ever.

Like crocs you say, eh? And they eat rats? Charming. Not.

Anonymous said...

you could have secretly stowed some in your luggage?? I'd like a pet that eats cockroaches! How big are they?