Monday, August 28, 2006

Yesterday @ the MPO

Matthias Bamert conductor
Alexander Toradze piano
BACH (STOKOWSKI) Toccata and Fugue in D minor (BWV565)
RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No.3 in D minor (Op.30)
DVOŘÁK Symphony No.9 in E minor (Op.95) – “From the New World”

This is what Jan and I went to hear at the MPO yesterday. I'm so glad that I managed to secure seats for this as this is the first show of the season. And there isn't any other Rachmaninov that's gonna be played for the rest of the season until next August.

The last time I went to the MPO, I brought two friends who just didn't help in making the experience enjoyable. This time, I sat beside bunch of Japanese ladies, the one sitting beside me was late and was sniffing and coughing throughout Rach 3rd. And behind me, there was this chap who spoke in the most accented voice, I thought it was British guy. He kept talking in between pauses. Walking off later, it was this Cinak man.

I wish MPO would have a solo room but then again, not that I'll be willing to pay for the privacy.

Enough of that, Toradze played very well. Er... in my standards, well means I can't hear anything that shouldn't be there being played or what should be played is not played. I did, however, notice he played some parts a bit too slow for my liking. He was trying to dramatise it a little bit too much and his finalè was slightly drowned by the orchestra. I was a bit worried if he would collapse from the sheer exertion from the 3rd Movement as he looks really old and well, portly.

Nevertheless, it was still really enjoyable watching the Rach 3 LIVE.

No comments: