Sunday, September 16, 2007

My New Camera

After much internal debate, I finally got myself the Canon S3 IS. Since it is an old model, not many shops stock them, and had to face insistent salespeople who wanted to push the S5. Special thanks to Monster for tagging along and basically held my hand as I swiped my credit card.

Anyway, I'm now trying to learn how to use it, not very successfully. Am not too happy with the images, as I had expected to see sharper pictures. Either that or I haven't mastered the art of focusing. But hey, when it's on automatic, it SHOULD focus automatically right?

I've posted 4 pictures up on my Flickr. The one with the sky was taken from the rooftop of my office. Got slightly arrogant, thinking I roughly knew how aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings would affect my pictures. Thus the grainy effect, alas! So, since then, I still don't know what is the effect of all those things on a picture. I need a crash course!

2 comments:

Kelvin said...

I love your photo composition. It is really well done. I checked the picture you titled "Cirrus clouds" and from an artistic stand point, it's beautiful. Your shot may be grainy because you are shooting in ISO 400. There should be no need to shoot above ISO 100 for day shots if you're shooting in daylight. Your shutter speed was shooting at 1/2000. As for focusing, I can't tell from the pictures but they seem pretty focused to me. There are probably various metering and focus modes on your camera so you should be cognizant of which ones you are using. Anyway, all in all though, you do have a good eye. So don't get discouraged and keep shooting :D. The few shots you put up here are quite pretty.

K.

Wendy said...

Am I too late?

Don't ever use anything more than ISO200. If you need to, then use a smaller sized photo instead of the largest. Set it to M instead. There's also this "superfine" function. Use that, all the time.

High apperture (about 5 and above) is to blur the background and high shutter speed is to catch movements clearly.

Use P (program) instead of Auto if you're not using manual or apperture or shutter speed settings. That Auto function only usable when you take pictures in the dark when you raise flash up. Otherwise the picture comes out too bright on everything and focus sudah hilang.

Hope enough tips to last you for this trip. Need to practice la.....So what you can do is, bring loads of SD cards with you because you can then try taking the same picture but different camera settings. Then you'll have the best shot la.