Sunday, April 19, 2009

How to Euthanize a Cat

Recently, I encountered a cat that really made me wonder how to euthanize it without going to a vet. You see, it's nose and whiskers were eaten away by bacteria with its bottom jaw protruding from the cavity. When I saw it, I got a shock and was even more shocked that it was still alive.

Its body was a malnourished layer of skin, its fur highly unkempt and the face still bleeding. I backed away in horror and she looked at me and meowed, licking her missing face. I know she is being eaten alive and will eventually die but I can't bear the thought of it suffering even while it waits for its impending death.

I cried for days, wondering how I could ease its suffering. Even after so long, it's still bothering me. Unfortunately, circumstances are such that I cannot report this, could not drag a vet to euthanize it. I won't go into details but I really tried. Short of taking an axe and chopping its head off or rolling over it with the car which I couldn't bear to do, I have simply exhausted my avenues.

No comments: