Saturday, June 27, 2009

Gone Too Soon

The whole world stood still today as the shocking news spread all over the globe. Here in KL, most radio stations played his songs from the moment they knew, at the crack of dawn. What a way to wake up to a Friday.

Needless to say, I am one of the billion people in the world who grew up with his music, dance moves... Although I knew he would never regain his Thriller glory nor create another Moonwalk, he had already achieved legendary status, no matter what else he did after that.

KS and I were trying to figure out who could be more popular than him. My colleague said Warren Buffet and Bill Gates. I don't quite agree. Ask a child from a third world country, ask the oldest person on earth.

I love his songs and to me, they would be evergreen. I wince to think the next generation will look oddly at us just like how we struggle to appreciate Elvis. We are a privileged generation that has been blessed by his art.

Here is one song he never recorded and not many people know of this song. I accidentally caught it on TV live back then. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Michael Jackson performing You Were There for Samuel Davis Jr's 60th anniversary.

You will continue to live in our lives for a very very long time, Michael.

No comments: