Friday, February 18, 2005

Bzzzzzzt!

Last night as I was getting a cup of water, this flying thing circled my head as though trying to land. I suspect it was a cockroach as there has been an influx of them lately. Now, my greatest fear is cockroaches and my even greater fear is a FLYING one!

Few prominent memories of them afflicting me was when I was in secondary school, closing the gate after coming back from tuition at night, one large cockroach took a careful aim and got itself stuck between my left eye and my spectacles! What an amazing feat! One which I won't appreciate in this lifetime, thank you.

Another one was when I was a bit younger than the first incident. I was outside again at night after accompanying my younger sister to play lanterns during the Mid Autumn festival. As we were about to go into the house, she screamed and stood still, her arms outstretched like a scarecrow. My shocked dad asked her what happened and she said something landed on her. After a few moments of checking her, my dad declared her free of any creature. Next instant, I was the one screaming as the cockroach landed at the back of my neck.

But by far, my worst incident (insect related) was when I was 16, standing outside my house with a bunch of friends. My house faces a playground and beyond it is a stretch of padi fields. Again, it is night and we were talking and laughing. In the process of laughing, this poor creature flies right into my throat, gets wedged in there while i tried to retch it out. It buzzed and struggled at the back of my throat but couldn't get out. My friends laughed and thought I was being dramatic in laughing so hard at the joke we just shared.

After what seemed like an eternity, it didn't come out through my mouth and the buzzing stopped. My friends started realising this was for real and came to ask me what was happening. I rushed into the house, saw my dad reading the papers and told him about the incident. He calmly turned the page and said "Go eat a banana to make sure it goes in"

I've got more stories for later.

No comments: