Monday, June 25, 2007

Choc Chip Cookies

Recently my cousin Karen whipped up a recipe for me to cook. Since I hardly ever cook (is 4-6 times a year considered "hardly ever" or "never"?), she was trying to inspire me to start, throwing in a picture of her weeds green vegetables for good measure. So Karen, here's a recipe for you:

*But first, a little disclaimer, none of my recipes are original since:
1. I am not one to deviate from supposed tried and tested recipes. I just don't have the courage to switch anything. Except maybe reducing the sugar especially when the recipe comes from America.
2. Why reinvent the wheel?

Anyways, here's one for Chocolate Chip Cookies, the kind that are supposed to be chewy although here in Malaysia, everyone prefers the crunchy type.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
125g butter
1 egg yolk
1tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup choc chips

1. Beat sugar and butter.
2. Add yolk and essence.
3. Add flour and finally, the choc chips.
4. Roll them into balls, flatten them just slightly on a lined baking pan. They will expand just a bit.
5. Bake for 12 mins (I put it in for longer as I prefer it crunchier) at 180 degrees Celsius.

Easy, ain't it? I'll upload photos later. One thing though, I reduced the caster sugar to 1/4 cups but it still is too sweet for me.

Source: The Occasional Epicure which is hardly updated anymore.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

************

Comments from my colleagues:
"Too sweet!"
"Lau hong" (masuk angin) - I had to explain that this is a chewy cookie to almost every single person as they commented this.

This gives me a good excuse to try again! Anyway, they were all gone by the evening.

But there was one who pissed me off a little. She complained right from the first bite but ate the most pieces and even had it for her lunch.

No comments: