Friday, August 10, 2007

DSLR Or Not?

Last week at a work event, my colleague brought his new Nikon D50. I played with it for a while and was esctatic with taking all those shots with fantastic effects. I now know the name of the type of shots I always wanted, bokeh shots.

Feeling itchy, I went on a scout to the malls looking for a DSLR and was toying with the idea of getting the D40. Surfed the internet for more feedback, comments and reviews. Got the brochure. Talked to the camera shop guy. Weighed it.

After all, when I go to Australia next month, I'd surely want to take loads of photos, wouldn't I?

Then after my KK trip, I realised a few things:
1. I took a grand total of 13 photos during my 3 day stay.
2. Lugging around my Coolpix was fine as it fit into my handbag. The DSLR would have to come in it's own bag.
3. My photography sucks.

So, no bokeh shots from Australia for me. :(

2 comments:

MlleMonster said...

I admit that it can be a little tiresome lugging around equiment on vacation, especially after you have decided to get a few more lenses that you will discover you cannot live without.

And I was worried sick when I had to leave my gear in the hotel rooms or when I had to take it with me on boat trips. But then I am worse-case-scenario woman.

While sometimes there is a risk that the thrill of taking pictures can distract you from enjoying the moment, there is also amazing fulfillment that comes with bringing home good shots.

So I would say get the dSLR if you are truly interested in photography. If holiday snaps is all you are looking for then your coolpix is already super duper handy.

Kelvin said...

Hey! Your blog inspired me to write a response blog to it. You can find it here at http://www.thekunit.com/Blog/tabid/36/EntryID/64/Default.aspx. Anyway, to summarize, I love my Nikon D70S. I didn't take that much photos when I had my old point and shoot but now I take a lot of shots. I wouldn't say your photography sucks - in fact looking at some of your flickr shots, it's actually quite pretty. The only way to get better at taking photos is to just take them.

Love, K.