Friday, August 10, 2007

Kota Kinabalu

After weeks of stress at work, my body is finally breaking down. I'm on MC today and in PJ.

It's been so long since I last blogged properly that I'm actually having blogger's block.

Okay, let me blog about my trip to Kota Kinabalu. We now know that staying there for 3 days isn't enough. There are many things to do there, namely climb Mount KK, visit the Kinabalu Park below it, go to Poring Hot Springs nearby, take a river cruise to see the Probicous monkeys (I actually know what a Probiscous monkey looks like, thanks to a First Day Cover I worked on back in my old job!), go white water rafting, go island hopping and if you're a diver, visit the famous Sipadan and Ligitan Islands (also appeared on a First Day Cover).

So now that I've told you the things we DIDN'T do above, we actually spent the time walking around KK. The shopping malls around there remind me of the old Alor Star shopping malls, with cheap clothing stashed upon endless waist high shelves which are place narrowly together so you end up walking in single file just to cross the section. Why we went shopping was because we were searching high and low for souvenirs. We didn't want keychains nor do we drink tea so I was actually looking for Sawarak layer cake. Yes, while in Sabah. Well, I did see a poor collection of it in the morning market so I had hoped the shops would sell them too!

We went to 2 islands and because I wasn't very keen to add on damage to my already sunburnt skin, I just sat on the beach under the shade and enjoyed the different shades of turquoise and azures of the sea.

Other than that, KK is well known for its cheap and good seafood, which we had a sampling on both nights. Unfortunately, both KS and I are not seafood lovers and do not appreciate this as much. We think Klang has better prices too.

We will find our way there again one day, perhaps to climb Mount KK once all senses have left my brain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

er..is it a proboscis monkey you mean?? the monkey with the nose that looks like a umm... man's dicky? haha
probiscous sounds like a something thats really promiscuous (which wouldn't be too far off the track either seeing what the monkey looks like!)

jo said...

YEAH! that's what it's called. proboscis monkey.

sigh, it runs in the family. the other day dad pronounced beverage as "beaver-rage". ks is having a fun time laughing at us. "angry rodent" he said.