Monday, October 15, 2007

Review on the Auto Cleaner

For once, I woke up excited about wanting to clean my floors. I let the Auto Cleaner (aka Roomba) run around in the dining area and watched it with great interest. It's supposed to have 21 sensors to sense where there's dust. I can tell you now that it DOESN'T do this. Some intervention was required in order to navigate to a particular spot.

And because there are some things which shouldn't be on the floor while it is doing it's cleaning, I had to stand around making sure nothing got sucked in accidentally. For example, some thin wires will get trapped and the robot (I'm going to start giving it a name soon) struggled to get free. Also, if there's a small difference in floor level, it will go ahead and fall. Then I had to pick it up as it tried to do a reverse unsuccessfully.

All in all, it's fun. As for being clean, well, it's not as clean as mopping the floor but hey, it suits my needs for the moment.

Haven't scared the cat yet. She's not going to be happy with that thing scuttling around making loud noises!

No comments: