Saturday, January 26, 2008

Me Want Me Cookie!

One of the things I look forward to during Chinese New Year is the cookies. Friends and families will be selling their various biscuits, which we will buy in abundance and keep until the next CNY before throwing them away.

When I was young, my Mum used to make these cookies and we used to help her. The white powdery biscuit we'd squeeze into rabbit shaped moulds and bang it out on a floured table. My favourite duty for that was to dot the eyes with red colouring. The cashew nut cookies I'd stick a halved cashew and coat the top with egg. The layer cakes I'd help Mum to layer, running to the oven every 3 minutes or so to check if the top layer is ready to be spread with another.

But the most memorable cookie making is the love letters. We would spend the entire day (Mum would wake up really early like 6 plus to go to the market and return to start the charcoal by 7ish) sitting in front of the charcoaled flames, flipping the moulds and opening them with a slight crack to see if it is ready. We'd then carefully scraped the finished cookie layer and toss it to the waiting sibling who will then quickly fold into into quarters before it hardened. It's a good thing Mum had 3 of us to help out (Jan was too young then) and take turns. I remember feeling so ill at one point I had to go upstairs to lie down. Mum only stopped to prepare lunch. I really don't know how and where she found the energy!

Now, if I want to eat love letters, I'd rather go out and buy them off the shelf. Fortunately, my taste buds can't tell from home made or factory made.

My current favourite cookie is the pineapple tarts made my KS's aunt in Masjid Tanah. They are absolutely lovely. I ordered 6 containers (thinking I could probably sell 1 or 2 so that the rest I could give away) which we collected on Thursday night, and I sold them all the next day at work. I didn't even bother to ask for a commission because I enjoy seeing people eating this cookie. At their own cost.

I still do get people who says, "I'm not ordering but can I have just one more from yours?" I'm selfish with my pineapple cookie. Go get your own. Nyah.

Dang, can't upload the picture of the pinapple tarts in the PJ house dial up.
Photobucket
Photo at last!

No comments: