Saturday, December 29, 2007

Portuguese Settlement

For the many years that I’ve been in Malacca during Christmas, this was the first time I set foot into the Portuguese Settlement and was I really blown away by all the lights!

Apparently every year, they have a friendly competition to see who has decorated their house the best and some houses really decorated every shrub, tree and corner of their homes. Walking along the brightly lit path, flanked by furiously blinking lights from the houses on both sides, some set up booths at their porches to sell Christmas items or food. Most homes had their gates flung open, welcoming visitors and neighbours as children ran from one home to another. I just loved the neighbourhood friendliness of it all.

Martin, my regular belacan supplier who cut his own album on Portuguese songs, walked around with a guitar and sang Christmas carols to add to the festive mood. Many dressed in Santa suits, kids wore elf masks as they surrounded him and sang along with him.

At the Portuguese Square, a stage was set up with massive speakers blasting more Christmas carols surrounded by more stalls.

Here are some photos of the houses. More on my flickr.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I walked away with a warm fuzzy feeling. Next year I’ll be more prepared and take a tripod or a gorillapod for better pictures.

No comments: