Saturday, April 03, 2010

Brownies From Scratch

I'm not the most original baker. I just follow recipes and once the recipe turns out bad in the first try, I don't bother trying it again because my experiments will just go to waste as no one will eat them in my family (except Jan who eats anything but since she's "migrating" soon...)

So I love reading blogs like KarenCheng and LachInvasion who both love baking (and cooking and looking after 2-3 kids and still look fabulous. Sigh. Anyway, I digress.). They experiment a recipe until they get it just right. And then they publish the recipe and ta-dah! I benefit making the most amazing stuff. 

The recipe I decided to make on a whim this weekend was this brownie from LachInvasion. Although she suggested taking it out before it is properly baked, mine was too undone and I only realised it after I tipped it out of the pan.

Throwing it into the microwave was not a good idea as the plate started to pool oil at the bottom. Still, after clearing it up, the brownie still tasted great! Definitely another recipe worth repeating.


350g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
350g unsalted butter, chopped
5 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
220g caster sugar
200g plain flour
1 2/3 cups chopped walnuts

Vanilla ice-cream to serve

  1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Grease and line the base of a 36cm X 26cm slice pan.
  2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Careful not to let the bowl touch the water. Cool slightly.
  3. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla beans (extract) in the bowl of an electric mixer on high until thick and pale. Reduce speed to low, then slowly add the chocolate mixture, mixing until well combined. Switch off the motor.
  4. Fold in the flour and nuts, then pour into the slice pan.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes or so until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan, then turn onto a board and cut into 18 large squares.

I think I'd choose making this over the boxed brownie mix from Betty Crocker for this if I had the time. Less... cheating.

No comments: