Tuesday, July 12, 2005

7-Legged Spider

I don't know how I managed to forget blogging about this particularly large spider of about 2 inches (in Malaysia, spiders of this variety are normally 1cm including legs) which appeared near the washing machine about a week ago. I was trying to do the laundry when I spotted it on the floor. Blending in amongst the coil of the water pipe, I jerked the pipe to make it move and boy, did it move quickly!

Excitedly, I ran upstairs and grabbed the camera and snapped a poorly lit shot. After showing the photo to KS, he slept with nightmares of giant spiders.

Last night, as I was going to switch on the fan in the dining room, I noticed it's legs protruding from some electrical gadget stuck on the wall. Since KS hadn't seen it the first time, I quickly went upstairs and waited for him to finish his shower.

Pretending to be sweet and wait for him to go downstairs, he became suspicious and asked what I was up to. Of course I noncholantly denied having anything up my sleeve and we proceeded to go downstairs. I got his tea ready and pretended to pop into the kitchen while asking him to switch on the fan. Before I could step out of the kitchen, there was a high-pitched scream and he came running into the kitchen. I missed seeing his face upon his discovery of the creature! He grabbed hold of me and started whacking me for doing this to him. It was so totally worth it!

The poor frightened spider started running all over the place but was eventually vacuumed up as we couldn't kill it with insecticide spray and neither did any of us have the courage to chase it out of the house. So, there it lays, our 7-legged fiend in the vacuum bag in the store room.

No comments: