Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mandarin Oranges!

I’ve been receiving an endless number of Mandarin oranges and other food gifts from my office suppliers. In my old company, we normally tell our suppliers not to give us oranges or shout us a meal but instead, save the money to charge us lesser for their products or services.
Today, my department heads took us out on an expensive 9 course Chinese lunch at KLCC. Something about Chinese belief on closing the work for the year and starting afresh for the new year. They’re really such a brick. We had our second lo sang for the season and look forward to more.

Yay, Chinese New Year is coming! I look forward to meeting up with everyone. It’s usually noisy and loud but there’s loads of good food awaiting our stomachs at every visit. I’ve learnt to ignore those loud music and small cutesy little girls with fluff in their hair clasping their hands together while singing irritating New Year songs. This is a huge reason why I prefer Christmas to CNY. Christmas is soft, warm, comforting with cosy dinners. CNY is RED, LOUD, firecrackers, screaming kids and folks shouting over a din of relatives speaking in a language foreign to me. I love being in Malaysia for being able to celebrate such different cultures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you got the annoying "TONG tong-tong CHANG" music? Can you see if the shops have a cd of it? Then I can play it next year and annoy the neighbours.

Anonymous said...

Very jealous....miss CNY in Asia. Maybe one day we'll go home to celebrate there...

jo said...

to ron: ya! there's plenty of the tong-tong-tong-chang music going around! you want the cd? will go look for it.

to karen: ah, bringing stefan over for cny will be great as he will be able to experience the chinese culture to the max.