Saturday, September 02, 2006

Cameras

I'm suddenly wanting to take photos with fuzzy background or the type where you focus on the subject and everything else is blurred? Heh, you can tell I'm not into photography. What is the correct term for this anyway?

I realise my current digital camera doesn't have that function even after painstakingly reading the camera manual over the last week. (Funny how I can read an entire book in one day and a thin manual takes me more than a week). Even Jan's Canon IXUS60 doesn't have it. Or does one need to get an SLR camera in order to do that?

1 comment:

MlleMonster said...

You are referring to the "bokeh effect" also known as the narrow depth of field.

It is easier with an SLR but I have had some average success with my old point and shoot. With the new digital cameras where the aperture etc can be manipulated, you may achieve better success.

There are a few things you would need to consider:
A wide aperture
Long focal length
Distance between the camera and the object
Distance between the object and the background

Try setting the aperture as wide as possible e.g f2.8 or use the macro function on your camera (identified as the flower icon), maximize your zoom, go as close as you can to your object without it becoming out of focus and try to get the background as far away as possible from the object.