Monday, December 19, 2005

Onions

Did you know that onions give you gas? I guess I might have heard about it before but it never really stuck. I remember baked beans will give you gas because of some jokes about it but I haven’t heard any jokes involving onions and gas.

Anyways, last night I (well, more like KS) found out the hard way. I had dinner with a friend who swore that the Kerabu Chicken Feet at that restaurant was absolutely not to be missed. It came with de-boned chicken feet (my first time eating de-boned chicken feet! Usually I love to chew on the soft bones and tendons that seem impossible to separate from the skin and never thought anyone would go through the trouble to de-bone it) and raw onions saturated in some light chilli and vinegar marinade. It looked doubtful but the first mouthful was enough to convince me to finish half the dish.

Later, when KS picked me up, he refused to let me talk to him and if he could, would have prevented me from breathing. Even after I scrubbed and brushed my teeth, the reek of onions continued to linger.

THEN, we learnt that onions cause gas. BAD gas.

So jadi, never eat too many onions if you don’t want to kill your mate. Now is the morning after and I’m chewing gum now to rid the last few remaining traces of onion breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know asparagus makes your pee smell funny? Everyone tells me that althought honestly, who stays long enough to smell their pee after?

Anonymous said...

You know I find the same problem after eating raw onions in terms of breath but I don't get gas....I find I get gas if I eat cabbage or beans.
With raw onions you need to brush and floss your teeth as well as brushing your tongue very thoroughly followed by a rinsing of listerine. That has been the most effective way of reducing the stink :)