Friday, May 12, 2006

Sin

There is one sin that is absolutely embraced here in Malaysia. It is encouraged and the more one does it, the more admiration is given.

I'm, of course, talking about Gluttony.

Last night my working partners decided to go out for dinner and karaoke to celebrate the hard work we all put in for the launch of the product. We went to this restaurant in Starhill Jogoya (what a stupid name as it's not catchy at all and I keep having to refer to the name card I accidentally took to remember it, even as I type). Anyway, this place is having a promotional price of RM88++ per pax for a buffet dinner.

To be honest, the moment we stepped in and looked at the array of food, a singular thought crossed my mind, "So much food, so little stomach!". The food is great with an immense variety of Eastern dishes, the most recognisable would be Japanese. I had loads of raw salmon, yummy. However, even after several rounds of walking about, my boss had the same thoughts as me, "A lot of food but... nothing much to eat!" I don't know how to quite explain it. Sure, there's loads of food but almost everything is the same? There's prawns, crabs , oysters (fresh and baked in cheese)... but it's just the same things, you know? How many versions of prawns and crabs do you want to eat?
Both were available in curry, clear soup, steamed, fried whatever.

The dessert table was impressive too, with Movenpick ice cream being the highlight. The rest were just small slices of the usual stuff, cheesecake, mango pudding, Chinese black jelly etc and interestingly, biscuits. I mean, how often do you go to a buffet dinner which offers a variety of biscuits?

The chap sitting beside me was steadily going through all the seafood and really ate his worth. Other than that, we all never really ate it's worth.

I guess the presentation of the place really blew me away. I'm not sure if I would pay RM88++ to go back there again. Mind you, this is a promotional price too. Hahaha... that's my Pay Little, Eat Bulk side talking.

Thereafter, we adjorned to Karaoke. Dang, I hate having to sing in front of others, let alone my two bosses and the Managing Director of the other company. In the end, I had to croak a few songs for the sake of participation.

In KL, there IS nothing else better to do for corporate celebration but to eat and sing. My boss initially suggested go-karting but unfortunately, the suggestion didn't interest the partner.

No comments: