Sunday, May 07, 2006

Surprising Wedding Guests

Yesterday night, KS and I were in Melaka for his classmate's wedding dinner. I have never met this friend although KS has mentioned his name several times as being a really intelligent guy who was studying in Singapore and then working as a doctor there.

Hardly expecting to know any of his guests, I was first introduced to those who sat at the same table, all classmates of KS and some of their partners. One of them looked vaguely familiar but when he introduced himself, the name didn't ring a bell. Shortly after, I discovered he was my ex-colleague at the bank! He left one month after I joined, which means I did see him on ocassion since he was just one floor above me. We exchanged news on those who were still there, gossips about the mass exodus of staff from my department.

Then suddenly, this girl was walking past my table when she stopped and gave me a queer look as though she'd seen me before. I recognised her at once and rose to greet her. Quickly making introductions to KS, she still looked bewildered that I know her full name and asked me honestly where have we met. I told her she was my classmate since Form 1 until Form 5 back in Alor Star but it's been a while since we last saw each other. She had gone to Singapore right after Form 5 for ASEAN scholarship and also studied at the same uni as the groom and she's also a doctor there. Ree Nee. Blast from the past. Again, I exchanged news on those whom I still keep in touch but am not sure if the names registered. But jo-bloggs, she remembered you, though. Come to think of it, I didn't tell her my name so she probably doesn't remember me today either.

Then, throughout the dinner, this guy kept walking up to the stage to take photos and he looked familiar. He was sitting at the main dinner table so it wasn't until much later when he walked past my table when I flagged him down. Hock, the ex-auditor from my old company, is actually the groom's brother-in-law. KS and I actually bumped into him and his wife some years back in Bidor but KS didn't know his friend's sister well enough to recognise her.

Malaysia is pretty small, I guess.

1 comment:

jo said...

it's ok. i have already forgotten the rest of the gang's birthday except yours but i remember the twins birthdays for a strange reason. it's 10th by the way.