Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Windfall?

There's something about the Asian culture that I simply cannot accept/understand. When someone has a windfall, new job or bonus, the first thing anyone says is "So when are you going to belanja (buy a meal) me?". Nothing of a "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!".

In fact, a couple of years ago, I struck RM2000 from a radio contest. It was indeed a blessing to me as I badly needed to fix my car which cost me exactly RM2000. But of course, being on the radio, many people recognised my voice and as soon as they met up with me, demanded I shout them a dinner. I didn't cave in. Not only because I'm naturally kiam siap (tight fisted), but the horror of the lack of manners displayed.

In the end, I decided I would shout dinner for a couple of close friends, just a small group. I didn't tell them as we ate at a steamboat buffet until the bill came. As I explained to them I wanted to do this because of my win, to my utter disgust, their first reaction was to scoff, "WHAT? And you're only paying for this dinner? We should have gone somewhere MORE expensive!".

Perhaps they meant it jokingly but I don't see any funny angle to it. Is this an Asian thing because I see it happening very very often here. I've learnt my lesson and am very selective of whom I spend on. Or maybe this is a norm which I'm protesting against in vain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gross! I do think this is an Asian culture thing. Whenever non- Asian friends get a windfall here, we're just super happy and we usually take them out to celebrate (and vice versa).

You're not being kiam siap at all. You should get to decide what you want to do with whatever windfall you receive....

xoxokaren