Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Best Malaysian Fruit

If the Garden of Eden were located in Malaysia and Eve were Malaysian, then THIS would most certainly be the fruit that was made to tempt her.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I love this local fruit. It's usually the case of either you'll love it or hate it. It brings people together and you don't have to share saliva as in the case of spooning out half a watermelon with 10 others. At night, people will squat on the roadsides huddled in groups while polishing off the pale yellow flesh from its seed.

Only problem is, it's a "heaty" fruit. Eating two pieces has already caused a sore throat. The remedy? To drink from it's shell. Apparently there is an "antidote" in the sap on the inside of the shell. It can even get rid of the durian smell from your fingers. Don't ask me the science behind it though.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My record was eating 5 fruits, all slightly smaller than this one. This was after lunch one day in Melaka and the reason why I stopped was because 1. I was afraid I would get sick; 2. my pores started to emanate the durian smell, and; 3. my pee also started to smell like durian.

Fond memories of durian include younger days when my dad would sneak out of the house at night and bring back a couple of fruits. Even though I would be in my room, the smell would waft upstairs and draw me out. I would quietly tiptoe to the stairs and observe my dad slowly devouring each piece in total contentment, all by himself. Of course, once I make my presence known, he would, sometimes, invite me to share. Other times, I wouldn't wait to be asked!

No comments: