Saturday, June 17, 2006

Melaka

KS and I took leave on Friday to go back to Melaka for Father's Day. His Dad was a little surprised that we took the trouble to come back as we have my cousin's wedding to attend this Sunday. But it felt like ages since we last went back and we missed Mother's Day with them, hence our trip.

On Thursday, I was filled with excitement and anticipation of our getaway weekend. Melaka has always been the holiday place right back when I was growing up. Excitement simmered amongst my siblings as we approached my cousins' house. We would cook up stories on how we arrived there, Grace once getting Dad to drop her 500m from the house so that she would walk and pant and tell the rest she walked all the way from KL.

After all our relatives left Melaka, going back there was never the same. Until it hit me this weekend that yes, I still look forward to going back to Melaka now. Just something about that place that makes it feel like... home. Ok, ok, I admit. My in-laws are quite the most relaxed people I've ever known and hence, I feel very relaxed around them.

Anyways, they've beautified the sidewalks of Melaka River and it looks really great a night with alfresco dining (although I must say the smell is still something to be desired for), brick walls and soft lamps that makes one think they're in an ang moh country minus the cold weather. Although it doesn't scream Melaka anymore, it is an improvement from what it was previously, with houses having their outhouse hovering over the waters while river cruise ships putter by. Drop by next time you're there.

No comments: