Saturday, July 22, 2006

Bits n Pieces

Two more weeks before we fly off to Cambodia. I'm not sure if I'm excited or dreading it as I don't think I'm prepared.

I'm supposed to be looking at my "work" for Cambodia but I've just been so lazy. There are 4 books waiting for me to finish, Bare Bones, The Time Traveller's Wife, Expresso Tales (2nd installation of 44 Scotland Street) and my newly borrowed Terry Pratchett's The Truth. By the way, I went back to the book sale in Atria and ALL Terry Pratchett books were GONE! In one week! But then again, he's a favourite author.

It's been a strange week at work too. I know my boss is worried that I am also thinking of leaving since my immediate boss is leaving. And I must say it did cross my mind MANY times as she is my mentor at work. She did encourage me somewhat in staying, at least until next year as she said the bosses were pleased with my performance and that I can look forward to a nice bonus. Of course, "nice bonus" here would be anything better than what I used to get back in the old company.

I guess she knows my motivations well because that has certainly given me hope. The funny thing was she confessed her shock when she learnt of my pay just before I came here. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that but hey, I guess the working environment there makes up for the lack of pay.

Back to less depressing things, I discovered Jaya Supermarket selling Thai basil plants which I was tempted to get. Jan keeps telling me of Ron having this pot of basil in his kitchen which he plucks from everytime he needs a few leaves for his cooking. Sounds so ang moh, you know, plucking from your own plants to eat. Completely foreign here in Klang Valley. But Thai basil? What is it used for? Hahaha... nice to plant but don't know how to use. Anyways, at least I know where to get it from.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Thai basil is the same as Vietnamese basil which is slightly different from the type used in mediterranean cooking...
basil plants need loads of sun and if they dont get full sun, they rot. They are also prone to drying up quickly if they don't get enough water!

jo said...

ha! i knew you'd help me on the basil plant. ok, so i won't get it.