Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Shopaholics!

I recently borrowed the first instalment of the Shopaholics series. It’s been several months of indulging in mystery, thrillers, murders, lawyers, detectives with a smatter of fantasy books. Hence, thinking a change is needed, I borrowed the Shopaholics.

The fact that I borrowed it at the start of this month, and I haven’t read beyond the fourth chapter says quite a lot. Contrary to popular belief, I am NOT a shopaholic as described in the book.

The main character talks about buying that dress, that shoes and that handbag, followed by detailed descriptions of what she is wearing and where she bought them from. While reading that portion, I was dressed in my scraped heels, pants which I’ve owned for more than 2 years and a top I bought off a factory warehouse. And what matching knickers? I felt like a washed out rat.

And despite all that, she’s flat broke and maxes out her Visa. I have NEVER been that irresponsible and hope I will never be.

Needless to say, the book doesn’t resonate with me and I shall henceforth be returning it to the bookshop unread. At least this has scratched that nagging thought that perhaps, just perhaps I would like chick lit.

Back to Discworlds and murders/thrillers/mystery for me.

No comments: