Thursday, June 02, 2005

Glutton Square

Last weekend, I happened to go to PJ Old Town and was crossing the pedestrian bridge from the bus stop when I saw it - the Glutton Square. A flood of memories came back, transporting me back to the time when I was hardly a todler.

My parents used to frequent it when we were still staying in PJ. The hokkien mee there was one of the best, according to my dad. Even when we shifted to Alor Star, we would make our way to this place all the way from KL when we visited my grandparents.

I still remember the acrid smells of the morning market (where we parked our car), as the cracked cement floors pooled murky liquid from meats and fish, butchered there in the morning. Some sections had trampled vegetables lining the floor as we tip-toed our way through the market and into the square.

And the reason why we stopped eating there was that it started getting expensive plus the standard started to fall. So to the dismay of my parents, they had to sadly give Glutton Square a miss and unearth another place where we could eat good hokkien mee.

And so, seeing the place nearly brought tears to my eyes, for the long ago held memories that I never knew existed somewhere tucked in my mind.

We now have several places where we eat hokkien mee as a family around PJ whenever Mum and Dad comes down. Times to treasure, indeed.

No comments: