Monday, March 28, 2005

"A Toad, Madam?"

Yesterday it was the perfect day to laze around at home. It rained in the evening and continued to drizzle into the night. We flung our doors open, letting in the fresh scent of the rain drift into the house.

Dimming the hall into one solitary light in the dining hall, there was a warm cozy glow which was accentuated by the twilight from outside.

Then, as I walked past the dining hall into the kitchen, there was this brown grey lump nestled at the wall which caught the corner of my eye. Peering at it closely, it wiggled and I exclaimed to KS that we had a visitor. The poor toad must have somehow jumped in from one of the open doors and found itself in a strange flat but dry plain.

After chasing it out with a broom handle and a broompan, I set it free in the garden. But during the process, he expanded his body and exhaled with a loud hissing noise. Now, I've read about them squirting some horrible substance that makes its enemies avoid toads so I was apprehensive in approaching it too closely. Anyone know if my floor/furniture is poisoned? Should I be scrubbing everything down with Dettol or Clorox??

No comments: