Monday, April 11, 2005

Beyond expectations

My cell group (CG) had been organising a children's party at this place called Kampung Cempaka where our church holds weekly tuition classes. We created flyers and banners to attract the children from around the area and spent 2 days distributing the flyers even though it rained. The estimated number of children who would attend was 50 but I had a feeling the day before that it would exceed that. My cell leader felt otherwise as she was worried that less would turn up.

In the end, we had over 110 kids who turned up! Half of them had to be ushered outside under the trees for their activity while the rest enjoyed several rounds of games inside. Food wasn't enough, extra door gifts had to be swiftly put together... it was a tiring experience although I wasn't able to contribute much on that day itself as I am unable to speak their language (my own mother tongue - for the shame!).

I must say I had expectations on my CG members which were not met and thus am disappointed. My cell leader and I were discouraged especially when some talked excitedly about the meeting time of distributing the flyers and then didn't turn up, leaving only 4 of us, which is a fraction of the CG to do the job. The second time, 2 more turned up and made the job so much faster but still, I was terribly disappointed and disillusioned.

No comments: