Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Pay As You Earn

Still on the topic of taxes, when I first started, Pay As You Earn (PAYE) was implemented and my monthly salary was deducted to pay for my taxes for the first year. The following year, somehow PAYE did not show up on my pay slips and I carried on without questioning.

Then today, I decide to question and I was just told by my HR department that my pay is non-taxable. In other words, I've been working for 6 long years, a uni graduate and my pay is not high enough to be taxed on a monthly basis! This really really bugs me. I'd rather pay taxes, thank you very much.

Of course, at the end of the day, I still have just a little bit to pay each year (which I have already been doing or rather, I deducted from the extra I had in my tax account) but still!

I'm going to be scanning the papers more closely from now on. On my way to work these days, I keep my spirits up as I crawl through 1.5 hours of traffic just to get to work by thinking of the moment I hand in my letter.

No comments: