Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Faith Stretching

Soon, my church will be shifting to a new place because of the sheer size of its growing congregation. From a single celebration on Sundays, it has multiplied to four, two on Saturdays and two on Sundays. Hence, pastors would have to give their sermons four times per weekend, which is quite taxing for anyone, let alone a visiting pastor! Plus, our ministries are growing and there is a evident lack of space for them.

So now we are going to shift and the deed is already signed for the piece of property nearby from where we currently are. A church building fund has been set up and normally, churches would look for help from both internal and external sources. For us, we are going to only look internally ie from the church members. And the amount is not small.

It's scary to ask for such an amount and those who do not share the same vision as what this new place can and will be, will only have doubts and may in fact leave the church. But this is what I believe is a process of refining fire. I've heard of people in the church who say, "I think my calling is to earn a lot of money so that I can GIVE!" and I sincerely hope that they will step up to their calling for this one. If the amount is divided equally amongst the numbers who attend the celebrations, it is still a very large amount, one which when pooled together all our resources, KS and I still won't be able to achieve the amount for one person. What a hopeless feeling!

Hence, our faiths will be really stretched for this one. But I really do believe that if you honour Him, you will be honoured in return, sometimes monetarily, sometimes in other means of blessings. Not to say that I should expect something in return but it's happened a couple of times when that step of faith is taken. This, I will share with you some other day when things come to pass.

However said, yes, I believe it but the acting out in faith is another struggle for me. It is always a case of, "What if I don't have enough for myself? When can I get that pair of shoes then? What if an emergency happens?"... a lot of "What ifs" which will never be quenched. This is why it's called walking out in faith.

2 comments:

Grace said...

are you guys made to give a specific amount?

jo said...

no specific amount is asked. i was just calculating the total amount divided by the number of people who attend the celebrations.