Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Saying the Darnest Things

We were talking about what kids say to make grown ups embarrassed and I remembered the time when my family and I went to visit a grandaunt (who is younger than my father, by the way, so we call her Aunt Helen) and her husband. My granduncle was some top guy running this swanky hotel in KL back then and had invited my parents for dinner at the hotel. We hardly meet this couple and this was the only time I remembered meeting them (they're now migrated to Canada).

I remembered having steamed fish since my dad always said it was an expensive dish whenever we ate out and we had a private dining room to ourselves. I can't remember much of the conversation because I guess I was too young to understand what they were talking about or didn't have a clue to whom they were talking about. But I've always had this awe for this high-flying aunt because of the little I know of her.

After dinner, we were invited to drop by their Penthouse (new word to my vocabulary then) but before that, we ladies made a pit stop to the loo. My youngest sister Jan was below six years old then and so my Mum brought her into the stall with her.

Now, I'm a self-conscious person and would pee really quietly so that, well, it's not so loud lah. Mum also was quiet in her stall but my Aunt Helen had no qualms about making enough noise to echo the four walls of the loo.

Suddenly, Jan said loudly, "Mummy, what is that SOUND?"

We all burst out laughing and Mum had to mumble some apology about kids saying the darnest things.

Jan swears she doesn't remember this incident at all. Oh, but I do, Jan, I do. All stored under "Stories to
blackmail my sisters".

No comments: