Monday, September 12, 2005

Of cakes, Cuban Dory and F1

I baked a butter cake for my Mum-in-law on Friday but the cake didn't turn out well. In fact, it didn't bake properly and not being experienced in this matter, we threw the whole cake away. Now everyone tells me I should have just chucked it back into the oven for a second round of baking.

Blarrggghh.... I just feel so embarrassed because it just shows how little I know about baking and here I am, trying to sell people my "experiments"! Hahaha!

Anyway, I had enough time on Saturday morning to bake another one which turned out okay. So all went well.

To celebrate Mum-in-law's birthday, we went to eat some Cuban food (yep, in Melaka!) and it was really nice. I ate up the salad in my starter! Everything including raw onions except the slice of lemon. Of course, the salad bit was the size of half my fist but STILL! An achievement for a meatatarian!

Anyways, the main course was a perfectly baked dory
fillet (no, not the blue one. Nemo has forever spoilt how the actual fish looks like) which sliced easily into moistened flakes, topped with oozing cheese and sprinkled with fresh whole olives. It was really nice and the Pinot Grigio was really good too. My first time tasting Pinot Grigio by the way, very nice. I actually might prefer it to Chardonnay now. So saideth she who had one glass.

There was promise of a Cuban "performance" which in the end we figured as the old VCD they played on the TV so we left right after prolonging our dessert by going over to see how Cuban cigars were being rolled. Those things, it took the lady about 5 minutes to creat a RM45 stick. Wow, I'd like to be able to do that. But I could see the skill required to cut the tobacco leaves into the right shape, to roll it and know when this or that part isn't compact enough.

Then we went home and opened a bottle of pink champagne, specially brought in from Perth. Also very nice.

Oh, when my Mum-in-law expressed to Dad-in-law that she wanted to bring back two bottles of champagne when she was in Perth, he immediately discouraged her, saying that the bottles would be too heavy to bring back. Puzzled, she insisted that she would bring them back anyway so he asked her where she was going to find the space in her luggage to fit such a big bottle.

"But they're the same size as the normal wine bottles we usually bring back"

"NO! Champagne bottles are the really big ones! Don't you watch F1?"

No comments: