Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Devil's Nut

During the mooncake month (the Chinese Mid Autumn Festival), where I grew up in Alor Star I had only known mooncakes and lanterns as the norm of the season.

When I came to KL after my secondary school, my friend introduced me this scary looking nut and insisted these were also eaten during the season. I reckon it's only popular here in the Klang Valley.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It looks like the devil itself doesn't it? Can you see the eyes and the horns?

I don't know what it's called. If you manage to crack the hard shell open without blistering your fingers, the fruit itself is soft and white. I can't say much for the flavour as I can't remember. But I know I'm not overly fond of it. This piece is a souvenier from the season and sitting in my wardrobe, don't ask me why.

No comments: