Monday, October 10, 2005

Satay Stick

I have a cell group member whose foot was always a fascination to me as it had a "hole" at the bottom of it. Of course in the first few months of knowing him, I didn't dare to ask until one day we were sharing about body scars when I asked him about it.

His story is this. When he was in his primary school, he used to play with this bunch of boys and they'd leap over this fence to get to the other side (of what I can't remember). Anyways, once there was construction going on at that area and a mound of sand was piled below this fence, ready to be mixed into cement. They would happily jump into the sand and run off along their way. One day, this friend of mine saw a satay stick nearby and decided to plant it hidden in the sand so that the next unsuspecting chap would leap to a painful landing.

I guess I don't need to explain further but the moral of the story is, if you want to plant a trap for someone else, don't fall into it yourself! Which reminds me of the time my sis planted a dead cockroach in the room and asked me to go in there to retrieve a book, in hope that I would step on it barefooted. I saw it, side-stepped it and couldn't find the book so she went into the room to look for the book and stepped on the cockroach herself. Her shrieks could be heard throughout the neighbourhood. (It doesn't matter that later I stepped on it when my brother asked me to go in to rock Jan to sleep in that room. I'm still amazed that Jan didn't wake up screaming along with my screams.)

No lah, the moral is, don't lah be so evil. The stick broke into three parts and one part was still embedded in his foot when he got home. His grandmother prayed over it and voila! It came out by itself after a few hours!

I still cringe every time I look at the base of his foot.

No comments: