Monday, May 02, 2005

Black Water Rafting

Now, if you have a natural resource that is exploited for the benefit of the tourist, one would assume that there isn't just only 1 company doing so. Anyway, we booked for a Black Water Rafting (BWR) trip with this company by dialing 0800 WAITOMO.

Upon reaching Waitomo, we stopped by the first one we see and I marched up to the counter and demanded they tell me what to do next since I've already booked via phone. Not finding my name on their system, they then discovered I was at the wrong company. Shame faced, we moved on to the next shack down the road.

Unfortunately, it was the same company as the first one so again, we had to back away apologetically and discovered the right one in the end.

All in all, BWR is really fun. KS has done it 3 times now but the first 2 were with another company. According to him, this was the best one. On my part, I thought it a little strange that they called it "Tumu tumu toobing" when the portion of time spent actually on the tube was just very small. Most of the time we were crawling into holes which I thought I'd never be able to squeeze through and balancing on crevices and rocks or swimming in the icy dark waters in the dark. Thank heavens for the wet suit otherwise I would have been scraped, bruised and frozen.

I'd recommend it to anyone who thinks of going there but perhaps not this one that we went for. Reason being was because as we were getting ready to go back, one of the guys in the team mentioned seeing an advert for 5 hours, doing 5 things including abseiling for just $4 more! We paid a good NZD95 for half the day!

Anyways, I won't compare but I did feel a bit cheated. Plus, the rest also discussed that the parts we were on the tubes could have been skipped as we could have easily waded in the water since it wasn't very deep anyway. The glow worms were pretty cool. Highly recommended.

No comments: