Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Ex PM

Yesterday we drove from Melaka back to KL after spending a good long weekend there eating, watching tv, eating, sleeping... what a fabulous itinerary!

I swear the clock showed 4:10pm as we backed out of the driveway and because I was feeling sleepy, I slept the entire trip only to be woken up when we neared the toll and the clock read 5:22pm! Now, it apparently takes 1 hour 15 mins toll to toll so I reckon KS must have really stepped on it while I was sleeping.

Anyway, we decided to hang out at Berjaya Times Square as we had to wait for my sis to arrive from the Pudu bus station nearby. I must say this is a really large and tall shopping centre and since I'm not used to the layout, gave me headaches just trying to go around the shops.

Finally we decided to step into Borders (cited to be the largest in Asia) but we then realised they didn't claim it to be the biggest bookstore in Asia, merely the largest BORDERS in Asia. Ah well, they got us fooled.

I grew up on books and love reading. Going in there rekindled all my reading desires and I badly wanted to pick up at least 3 books. But since I was broke, I already signed a contract with KS for him to stop me from buying anything. Belatedly, I eyed the rows and rows of deliciously enticing stories, wrapped behind each cover waiting for me to unfold each story.

Suddenly, there was a tinge in the air. Everyone started moving a bit more cautiously and attention was directed towards a small framed man who had just stepped in. Tun Mahathir. People started drawing close with several people actually going up to him, asking for his signature and shaking his hand. The staff were in a flurry, flushed with excitement as they hovered in groups while throwing glances his way.

I've actually met him before and got his signature. That time he was surrounded with a whole battallion of guards with Rafidah Aziz beside him so I merely shoved my item into his hands to sign it. No words. However this time, he looked so much smaller and well, older.

I asked KS later what he would have said to him, "Thank him for bringing us to where we are now" but otherwise we didn't know what else to say. Mine would have been a simple "Eh, you're working on a public holiday ah? You're in your uniform!".
What would you say to him?

No comments: