Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Melting Plastic

Many moons back, I attempted an orange butter cake recipe which required a tablespoon of orange rind. After grating 2 oranges, I scraped enough to fit one tablespoon of my plastic measuring spoon. Then I had to go out for lunch so I left everything as it was, rind in the spoon.

When I got back, I happily continued baking and it was only when I was washing up that I noticed a strange texture inside my measuring spoon. It had melted from the rind! I blamed myself for leaving it in there for too long and decided it will never happen again.

Then, a couple of months ago, I made another orange butter cake. Why not use the half tablespoon measure twice instead of the melted one? And this time, make sure it's in there for half a sec only. To my dismay, even half a sec was enough to damage the spoon again.

At this point, I must explain that things are very precious to me. I keep all my old t-shirts although they're faded and with holes. When KS broke a wooden stool, I was more concerned about the chair than of whether he was injured. And these measuring spoons are even more precious to me as I love baking and it's an essential part of the process.

Miserably, I kept them into the cupboard (but I must say it didn't stop me from ever wanting to bake orange butter cake again). Then when I got back, my darling aunt from Canada actually bought me this gorgeous set of measuring cups and spoons! I was delighted beyond words and now am inspired to bake this weekend. Cookies or cake, anyone?

No comments: