Thursday, May 19, 2005

Rain Dance

Ask my close friends. They'd all solemnly swear I have the following "gift".

It all started when I was much younger, in my teens perhaps. It used to be so hot that I would take a bucket of water and sprinkle water on the cement driveway, watch it evaporate and repeat. This could be any time of the day but it must be HOT.

Then I'd notice that it would rain thereafter. Believe it or not, I convinced myself that I could do it but never shared it with anyone.

Until I grew older, I would simply do this off and on. Slowly I revealed it to those closest to me and of course there would be disbelief and laughter as people started looking at me like I were some crackpot. Then I'd prove it to them and they'd thereafter keep quiet and ocassionally request for rain.

One memorable incident was when my friend Adrian declared it was the hottest day that year and I slanted him a look and said, "You want rain? I'll do my dance if you'd like". He laughed and laughed and poked fun of me but I kept quiet. Then, just before I left his place in the carpark, I took out some water and trickled it onto the road.

That afternoon, dark clouds gathered over his apartment and a storm erupted. I was passing by the area again and triumphantly looked at KS (who is a believer) and gave a grin. Shortly, an sms came through from Adrian "I am not worthy!" with further requests for making it rain purple-haird Japanese babes.

More recently, my friend G didn't want to go to a function she was obligated to and begged me for rain so that she'd have a great excuse. When rain did come at 3pm, she shook her head and said it didn't qualify as the function was late evening.

Surprisingly, the rain stopped although it was still cloudy and then rained again later on in the evening! She had already gone home and was preparing to go. She sms-ed me giving thanks for the great thunderstorm over her area.

Do you now believe? *evil laugh*

No comments: