Thursday, August 18, 2005

Chewy

It's 9pm and I'm still waiting for hubby to come pick me up. So in the meantime, let me regale you with more tales of the past.

One thing I'm pretty famous for amongst my friends both from secondary school up til now is that whenever there is a cockroach, worm, you name it, to be found in food, it would be mine. So far, I've only mentioned about the live bug that got stuck in my throat when I was 16 but here's another one to put a milestone in this area of my life.

I was in NZ at that time, on a date with KS. We went to this Malaysian restaurant (run by a friend's family). The ambiance was such that the lights were dim and cosy. The lamp above us only cast a dim yellowish romantic glow. I ordered some fried bee hoon with some meat in it while KS had something else.

When our dishes were served, we eagerly tucked in as we had waited for some time for the food to arrive. Mouthful after mouthful, the bee hoon had swiftly been removed from my plate when suddenly, I started chewing this piece of meat which I thought was unusually stubborn at disintergrating. I continued to chew and almost decided to just swallow it as it could probably be a stubborn fatty part of the meat. Extracting some juice out of it, I realised it didn't quite taste like the meat on the rest of the plate. Then I thought twice about swallowing it. After all, I was dating KS quite a couple of years by then so he wouldn't really mind me spitting on the side of the plate.

So I spat it out and peered at the half chewed blob on my plate. It was a light brown, plastic-like material. To my horror, I realised it was a plaster! Worse still, it must have been a used plaster for it to end up in my plate as no crazy fool would open a new piece from the pack and throw it into the cooking. And to think I was chewing it for a good minute and trying to extract the flavour of it!

My friend offered to replace my plate but by then, I had lost all appetite. Give me worms anytime, at least they're organic and in some countries, it's a delicacy.

No comments: