Thursday, August 18, 2005

I Wanna Dance

This morning I heard Whitney Houston's song on the radio and every time I hear that song, it reminds me of this incident when I was really young when her MTV came out. My sister was glued to the tv, her face barely inches away from the screen with her finger resting on the "Stop" button (she recorded the MTV on video tape) and would replay just that one bit when Whitney sang "If he loves me, if he loves me not, if he loves me, if he loves me not" while she twirled from one guy to the next with each "love me, love me not".

Now, during that time, our VCR was the old type, with the chunky buttons, no form of control on how much you can rewind or stop at the exact spot you want to. But she was relentless.

After about 3 to 4 just replaying that bit, I finally cottoned on and said "Whitney seems to get the good looking guys on the "loves me not" bits, eh?". She fervently nodded her head while her eyes were still stuck to the screen, still replaying.

It also triggered off another tv staring episode with my sister. It was to do with the tv series McGuyver where there was this part at the starting credits with Richard Dean Anderson standing with his arm resting on the wing of a small airplane, giving this grin while his name appeared beside him. My sister would immediately sit in the direction of his eyes and swoon, excitedly saying "Look! Look! He's looking at me! He's smiling at me! He loves me!". Even at a tender age, I'm sorry to say I wasn't naive enough to believe her.

I nowadays entertain my friends with "Stories of my Sister" and they look forward to wanting to meet her after that.

No comments: