Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Tired

I opened a booth to sell drinks over the weekend at my company's Warehouse Sale. My colleague and I had planned to sell 5 types of drinks but in the end, we only offered two because no one wanted the other 3.

There were other stalls opened by the staff and they were really professional looking, with all the proper tongs to display the drinks they were selling. Needless to say, ours was the least successful but I learnt a few lessons:

1. Be thick skinned. Both of us were pretty shy about shouting out our wares.

2. Know your market. Sell something people want, not because it's cheap to sell it. Ribena is a good lure for kids.

3. Cakes are more appreciated than drinks. My butter cake went fairly quickly but people are willing to pay more for chocolate cake.

4. Wear sunscreen even if you're sitting in the shade. My feet are striped now from my sandals.

5. Next time when people call out to you to sell their wares, acknowledge them. They're human too.

In the end, I didn't make any money out of this whole experience because if I factor in my travelling cost of petrol and tolls for both days, that's all my total portion of my profits.

Yawn, I'm still so tired and it's already Tuesday.

No comments: