Monday, August 01, 2005

Pewter Dust

Today yet another one of my lunch mates handed in her letter. Since she has been telling us since the start of the year that she was going to leave for her law profession, I didn't feel as upset as I did when my other two colleages left suddenly.

In fact, I was thinking about it the whole weekend, how exciting it would be for her to actually hand in her letter on Monday. When I got in this morning, she hadn't given it to her boss as yet as she wanted to wait until she had signed her staff purchase!

But I knew when she had done the deed as there was a loud exclamation from the bosses and wails of "NooooOOOOooooooOOOoo!!!!". Now they have less than three months to replenish the entire team. My poor colleague had been doing three exective jobs in one for the last four months and in no circumstances can that ever be fun.

So I asked her how she felt after handing in her letter. She said she felt sad. I suppose so. I've trained myself over the years for the day that I leave this company. Yes, I run through my last day, as to what I would actually be doing, who will I go to see before I finally pack my bags and leave. Initially I did feel a bit sad as I walked out of the place, thinking if that was the very last day I would be working there. With practise, I now really look forward to that day without much of a trace of sadness. Okay, I admit, I still WILL be sad but the thought of leaving would be so much more exciting, don't you think? I think I've had enough pewter dust in my lungs and heart to harden my feelings. Hahaa...

No comments: