Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Birds and the Bees

The radio was talking about how we got to know about the birds and the bees as there was a suggestion for the school curriculum to include sex education pretty soon. Most of the callers said they were informed by a friend at school during their teenage years.

For me, my Mum was smart enough to buy us this book, "Where did I come from?". This book has been with my family since my eldest sister was very young. One day while my mum had her sewing/cooking/YWCA women's meeting at home, my sister walked up to Mum in the midst of their meeting and asked loudly something about the penis or vagina I can't remember what. There was a stunned silence as all eyes flicked to my Mum and with a red face, Mum had to explain about the book she had bought for the kids. Mum surely must have a lot of memories of these kind of landmark incidents involving my eldest sister.

Another Story of my Sister is that in school, she described how babies came about to her friend. Her friend was horrified and cried, saying she didn't believe her parents did "such a disgusting thing". She would go home and confirm with her parents. I must say her parents had the decency to not disillusion their daughter as she sulkily came sniffing back the next day.

Anyways, that was how I got my sex education and it began when I could start to read.

1 comment:

Grace said...

Yes I remember that incident. I asked Mum, "Hey Penis is pronounced, Peanus, not pennis (like tennis) and vagina rhymes with Carolina!"

And I told 2 girls at school about sex (I was 14 then, heck anyone who doesn't know about sex at 14 should be given a thwack on the head)