Friday, November 11, 2005

Birds of a Feather...

"I'm thinking of getting my sister some knives for her birthday. What do you think?"

Jan's colleague whipped up his head from his work and gaped at her. In Chinese, giving knives or anything sharp means you want to cut ties with that person. Meaning, it's not a good gift lah.

"Er... if she really loves to cook, then oklah." he weakly replied.

Since we're none too fussy and more practical, she went ahead and bought me a butcher's knife and a small chef's knife.

Now beat this, the night before, KS gave me a butcher's knife and a chef's knife. I think these two have been hanging out together for too long. I mean, what are the chances of the two closest people in my life to buy me two same knives for my birthday?!

I'm not complaining though, I love the gifts and I'm really amused that they know me so well as to get me something functional and practical. Thanks guys! *muah*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As long as you gave them a penny each, which then means you gave them "money" for the knives then the cutting of "ties" doesn't apply. We give each other knives all the time. Best gift ever!

Happy Birthday...