Monday, November 07, 2005

A Week of Movies

As we had loads of holidays last week to the point that we absolutely didn't have ANYTHING to do on the second day of Raya, we bought some DVDs and watched til our eyes nearly popped.

Here's a list of shows we watched:
1. Miyazaki's Whisper of the Heart
Nice ending to my 10 movie box set I borrowed from my friend as our brains didn't burst trying to figure out what Miyazaki's trying to say in the movie.

2. The Grimm Brothers
Gave me nightmares although it wasn't that scary. I'm chicken when it comes to anything remotely eerie.

3. The Runaway Jury
Watched it twice, with KS and then with Jan. Gene Hackman was really good. I love John Grisham. Made me go out and get the book The Client.

4. Sound of Music
KS's first time watching! Made him sit out the entire 133 minutes. He declared it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.

5. Cinema Paradiso
The young boy looks like M. Night Shyamalan. Worth watching at least once. Made me a bit upset at the end though of what might have been.

6. The Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood
Wasn't as good as the book but still it was fun to see Vivi in action.

7. Amelie
I enjoyed Amelie tremendously. All the characters are so essentric and I love the parts with the garden gnome! It's a MUST watch.

Last night, we caught Corpse Bride and I kept looking out for the non-existant English subtitles. Which was a pity since I couldn't catch all their lyrics hence didn't get the full picture of how the corpse bride came to be. Weird visuals and KS made a remark about how Tim Burton portrayed life up here is all in grey and static (think of the starting scene) while "down there", the life is more colourful and energetic.

No comments: